Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Journalism vs Blogging

The first 10 years of my career was spent working with newspapers and magazines, I've worked closely with journalists and editors (and publishers), and appreciate the work they do. To me, blogging is very different from journalism, but I'm not sure all agree.

Over dinner with Steve Fox, editor-in-chief of Infoworld (http://www.infoworld.com), he argued that many consumers don't make the distinction. He says many people believe journalists are "directed" by advertisers and publishers, as recently shown by the PC World magazine curfuffle. And since television is clearly directed by advertisers (look at product placement on American Idol, for instance), isn't journallism too?

I say no, journalism is an art that will persevere through media change. Blogging is simply opinion, a point of view. Consumers will seek out journalism, not peer blogging.

Or am I wrong, and is blogging the new "reality TV" of journalism? We'll find out soon enough.

No comments: